Why Cathedral High School?
Founded in 1905, Cathedral High School is an all-girls Catholic College Preparatory school located in the heart of Manhattan. We are a community of students, teachers, staff, parents and alumnae committed to inspiring young women of all faiths and cultures to be their best.
- 100% of our students graduate and are accepted in the college or university of their choice.
- Graduating Cathedral students routinely obtain $20 million to $30 million in financial aid from selected colleges.
Our rich academic, sports, extracurricular and other programs and gifted teachers inspire girls to discover and unlock their potential:
- A community environment where girls thrive. This caring, nurturing environment allows our young women to achieve their greatest potential and achieve academic success.
- A challenging college preparatory curriculum that exceeds the New York Regents standards and requirements.
- Twelve major subject areas, including Career Opportunities, English, Design & Engineering Technology (STEM Preparation), Fine Arts, Mathematics, Medical Gateways, Modern Language, Music, Religion, Science, Social Studies.
- Over 30 Activities and Clubs, ranging from Art, Drama, Dance, Musical Theater, to Leadership, Robotics, STEM, Travel & Culture, Young Lawyers.
- A full Sports Program, including Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Fencing, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Track and Volleyball.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: Through the generosity of alumnae, benefactors and friends of Cathedral, we provide financial aid to qualifying students. Cathedral offers academic scholarships to incoming qualified 9th graders who take the TACHS exam and list Cathedral as their first choice.
- Additional Resources, including peer and teacher tutoring; SAT prep courses given in Junior Year as part of the curriculum; and access to Naviance, an online college and career readiness platform that helps students achieve their post-secondary goals.
Among our many achievements, Cathedral High School was selected by The New York Observer as one of their Top 160 NYC Schools and among the Top 35 Private High Schools, being the only all-girls Archdiocesan/Parish Catholic School in Manhattan to be selected.
Admissions Process for Current 8th Graders
Admission to Cathedral High School is a simple, three-step process outlined in detail below. If there are any questions along the way, please reach out to our Admissions Director at (212) 688-0261.
Step One: Submit an Admissions Application
Start your Admissions process now by completing and submitting this brief Application Form.
Step Two: Take Your Entrance Exam
Select one of these three Entrance Exam choices:
Register for the TACHS Exam online at www.tachsinfo.com, or by calling 1-866-61TACHS. The TACHS Exam is taken by current 8th graders and is administered each November.
Admissions to Cathedral High School is based on the performance on the TACHS (Test for Admissions into Catholic High Schools) along with the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade report cards.
Students may list Cathedral as their first, second or third choice on the TACHS. *Scholarship consideration is given to students who place Cathedral first or second.
*Cathedral’s TACHS code is 202.
COOP Exam: New Jersey Residents
New Jersey residents may take the COOP exam in place of the TACHS exam and the same instructions above apply.
Register for the COOP exam online at http://www.njcoopexam.org or by calling 1-888-921-COOP.
NJ residents should request that their schools send their applicant records to Cathedral High School and we will request their COOP scores.
Cathedral High School Entrance Exam
Students who did not take the TACHS or the COOP exams must complete an Admissions Application (as outlined in Step 1), and submit it along with their Applicant Record. Once Cathedral has received your completed Application, you will be required to take our entrance exam. The cost for the entrance test is $50 (cash only). After the exam, your application will be reviewed and you will be notified of your admissions status.
Step Three: Submit Recommendation Letters (Optional)
Teacher recommendation letters are accepted but not mandatory. If you would like to submit them, please use our Teacher Recommendation Form.
August 20, 2018: TACHS Registration Opens
October 15, 2018: TACHS Online and Telephone Registration Deadline
November 2, 2018: TACHS Exam
January 16, 2019: Release of High School Admissions Notices
March 7, 2019: Registration Day for Cathedral High School
Learn More About Cathedral High School